I had returned from a two year internship in New York at a publishing firm, and was looking for a foot in the door.
Fate smiled, and I was hired as a design/marketing asset for a local oil/gas tech company in 2005. Since then, I have crafted over 300 identities for businesses large and small, local and overseas. My approach begins with discerning how best to bridge the gulf between where a client is, and where they would like to be. This system has been thoroughly tested over the last four years as the Creative Director of River Parks in Tulsa, Oklahoma.
The creation and management of 8 separate identities, 21 social media streams, two major annual fundraising drives, and multiple websites and content management programs was a challenge that I met head-on. The payoff for this labor was, in large part, the record $350 million donation to River Parks by the George Kaiser Family Foundation. Marketing River Parks as an entity worthy of such a donation was a monumental effort by our team, and I am extremely proud to have played a part in this incredibly positive outcome.
> Read more about my marketing & outreach successes below:
- Developed the four-year marketing and fundraising strategies that lead to a record $350,000,000 donation to River Parks in 2014 – View story
- Managed and developed creative materials for over a dozen events and fundraisers, including one of “America’s top fall festivals” featured on three major networks – Read more
- Volunteered to design a web and branding identity for Turkey Mountain Urban Wilderness, a 5 year project that revitalized the area and changed negative public perceptions – View the website
Product Promotion & Event Management
I have had the privilege of working with organizations whose products and missions were ones that I believed in personally, which made promoting them even more rewarding.
- Marketing Director, Volunteer Director, and member of Event Management Team of Tulsa Oktoberfest (2010-2014), a five day celebration of German heritage. Developed and marketed the festival as a whole, including products for online sale. Returned festival to positive net income and growth (60,000 in attendance) in two years, featured as one of America’s top fall festivals on all three major networks (ABC, CBS, NBC) in 2013. In 2014, my efforts led to attracting our first title sponsor, contributing nearly $1,000,000 to the festival.
- Graphic Designer at Brookside Studios (2007-2009), a high-end web development firm. Created over 200 marketing strategies for small-to-large businesses, both local and international.
- Co-founder of BaseCamp (2013/2014), a camping/music festival held inside Tulsa city limits. Handled online promotion and advertising, including social media and web. Featured on local news and was profitable from year one.
Fundraising & Non-Profit Successes
One of the more difficult tasks at a non-profit is continuing the financing of their mission. At River Parks, I was an integral part to a multi-pronged fundraising approach that utilized events, email and web strategies, and discussions with government & private organizations.
- Developed fundraising strategies for River Parks, a non-profit recreational area. In 2014, River Parks was the recipient of a record $350 million donation to River Parks by the George Kaiser Family Foundation.
- Directed marketing and event strategies for Wild Turkey, an elite fundraising event held in an urban wilderness setting. This biannual event raised over $800,000 in 2010 and 2012.
- Designed marketing, fundraising, and product sales for over a dozen non-profits, including cultural celebrations, cycling events, 5k, 10k, and marathon running events.
Creating enjoyable experiences for others has become one of my life’s missions. No matter the audience, a crucial element of marketing is to make others happy. Occasionally, this means targeting an entire community to begin working towards a goal. One of my passions in life is the outdoors, whether it be camping, hiking, running, or biking through it. Developing a community around Turkey Mountain Urban Wilderness, a 400 acre park located seven miles from downtown Tulsa, was therefore a natural fit.
- Fundraising – raised close to $1,000,000 at Turkey Mountain utilizing fundraising dinners, sporting events, and organizational lobbying.
- Volunteer gathering – created volunteer events to clean and maintain trails and parking areas.
- Marketing efforts – fought attempts to develop crucial areas of Turkey Mountain by organizing media events, gathering the community at government meetings, and designing flyers and web call-to-action items.
Social Media & Email Marketing
Advances in technology mean an ever-changing audience. Social media has quickly become one of the prime movers of marketing delivery in the last decade.
- Created & managed 21 social media streams and 8 websites during my tenure at River Parks (2010-2014). Growth was exponential in some cases, with audiences of over 10,000 in some cases.
- Managed 50+ email lists, including the design layout and verbiage of regular correspondence.
- Designed social media marketing strategies for over 50 organizations at Brookside Studios (2007-2009).